Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I decided a little bit ago, because the day was almost over (and who wants to waste a whole day doing nothing?) to do something at least semi productive. So I prepared to start my laundry. Just as I was getting up from my bed, where I had spent the entire day, well almost (I got up for lunch), staring at my laptop screen an irresistible urge came over me. I sometimes get the irresistible urge to drink chocolate milk, and this was one of those times. In the past I have resisted the urge, held out until it passed, but this time there was no stopping it. There is no rhyme or reason as to the time at which the irresistible urge occurs, it is mostly random. Perhaps, and I'm not denying it, it has something to do with doing nothing all day; perhaps not. So I got up and skipped the laundry and went straight to the store to buy chocolate milk. Once at the store I spent some time looking around, to see if I wanted anything else. After looking at each item at least twice I decided I didn't. Chocolate milk and nothing else. As soon as I got out of the store I twisted off the cap, pulled off the foil seal, and drank at least a quarter of the bottle before I could stop myself. I didn't drink any more the whole walk home. Once home I saw the four pound container of redvines on my dresser. I remembered thinking the last time I had chocolate milk, how cool it would be to drink it through a redvine, you know, where you bite off both ends of the licorice to make a redvine straw. Unfortunately that was after I had drunk the last of the chocolate milk. This time I still had  three quarters of a bottle! So I did, drink the chocolate milk with a redvine. In fact I am drinking it right now as I write this very post, how cool is that? (pretty dang cool if you ask me) I thought about how lucky I was to be able to do this, both drink my chocolate milk with a redvine straw and just go out and buy chocolate milk whenever the irresistible urge to drink it came over me. Imagine being a farmer in Senegal, if you can: poor, in poverty, barely making enough food to feed your family. When suddenly you get the irresistible urge to drink chocolate milk (I am sure this happens to everyone, at least once in their lives). What on earth are you to do? The nearest store with chocolate milk, indeed the nearest town, is 200 miles away, and walking is the only way you could get there, unless you wanted to try and ride your goat (although, I assume, that would be very difficult), is to walk. And that would take some time. By the time you do get to the store, the irresistible urge to drink chocolate milk would have passed. And that would be a pity. I am sure other people have irresistible urges from time to time, and the urge to drink chocolate milk is not that bad, at least compared to the irresistible urge to repeatedly stab a sharp knife into someones stomach, or the irresistible urge to steal every single orange in the store. All that to say I guess I have it pretty good. My irresistible urge is both easily achievable and legal.

No comments: