Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fenwick 3

(When last we left them our brave hero had recently found himself in a strange place without any pants. On attempting to figure out what the hell was going on he met an intellectual looking fellow who tried to explain bedopping to him. Our hero was thoroughly confused. What exactly is bedopping? and where the hell is our hero? Perhaps you will find out, in this weeks episode of Fenwick the Ordinary Guy, in Very Srange Circumstances)


Missed the last two? Not to worry, they are here: Part one  and here: Part two Our deepest apologies for the bizzare font and layout, we have no idea how that happened.



They arrived at the end of the hallway and the heavy iron door was swung open, booming shut behind them when they had passed. The room was large but very narrow and if you concentrated on anything for too long it slowly started to fade away, not in a visual way but it slowly left your consciousness and the moment that you looked back you realized that the thing was gone, making you wonder if the thing you thought was there actually was there. The only thing that was constant was the whirring of an engine, like a loud fan. The man noted Fenwick’s confusion and smiled.

“You get used to it” he said “beddoping takes a lot of concentration”
The man walked to the middle of the room, or what temporarily appeared to be the middle.
“Fins, over here!”
“Eh?”
“Turn the bedopler down, you’re scaring the new guy”
“It’s on low already”
“Turn it off then”
All of the sudden the room was a normal room again, and Fenwick could hear the chuga-chug- chug of the machine winding down. Fins had previously appeared to be standing in four different places at three indistinct moments in time that had elapsed all at once but soon coalesced into one place and time.
The man spoke intelligently,
“What you have just experienced is the result of the beddoping machine process and the dimensional desynchronicity that it radiates onto its surroundings. The physical effect of the machine last only until the machine is turned off and I assure you that aside from the rare case psychological breakdown it is completely harmless”
“What does it do?” said Fenwick
“I am afraid I can’t tell you”
“Don’t tell me, you’re not authorized or something”
“No, we don’t know exactly know what it does but we know that it gets results”
“What do you mean by results?”
“I’m afraid I can’t tell you”
“What, you don’t know what the results or something”
“No, It’s just that I’m not authorized”
“And you don’t know what the beddoping machine does?”
“No”

Fins came and joined the conversation. Fins was hard to describe. Maybe it was a result of
years of working with the bedopping machine. Now his long mustache drooped to his knees. It hadn’t been there a moment ago but then again maybe it had.
“Ach” Fins said as coherently as he could
“Been working overtime I see Mr. Fins”
“Mubwuglidr”
“Well, only two more days ‘till the weekend”
“Fuggbuhnuguht” said Fins failing at conversation even more successfully this time”
“well mr Fenwick is starting today I presume you can show him the ropes”
The man left the room.
“glg” said Fins.
“uh-huh” Fenwick replied, having no idea what Fins just said, 'I know what you mean.” He had no idea.

“glugal inchajim wederfud.”
“I see” said Fenwick, distractedly.

There was not much to do. So he did not do much. Fenwick stood there for a while, listening to the gibberish of a clearly confused and troubled man. After a while he said

“Excuse me, is there someone else to talk to.”
“Ub”
“Okay, I'll be right back” and he headed towards the door.
“SDOD!!” Mr. Fenwick said, with such distress and with such volume that Fenwick stopped.
“Yes? Is it okay if I leave, or is there something I need to do here?”
“Uhg, ye neeth ado shumrint.”
“Yeah, sure. Just let me get my hochriz shadda and umwaf ding.” He left.


The adventure continues in Part Four....

No comments: